Friday 16 October 2009


DAY 16 WEDNESDAY 7th OCTOBER, VANCOUVER, CANADA

Up at 7am for a quick trip to the gym with my brother – then a quick breakfast before he headed off. It took me a while to answer emails and pack and then I headed off to see a film about a young boy in India. I expect it was very good but the standard of the audio was poor and, to be honest, hurt my ears and I left. Then I went to see a film that a friend of mine, Christina Daniels, had a lot to do with – ONLY WHEN I DANCE. I had been asked to work with a new producer called Giorgia and an experienced producer called Paul Webster. They wanted to make a film in Brazil with me – and I brought Christina into the mix. After a few months I felt it best I withdraw – I just wasn’t sure there was a need or desire for another favela in Rio film. Well, good luck to them all – they persevered and persevered and have made an absolutely wonderful film about two young dancers. Beadie Finzie is the director and I have to say she did better job that I would have. She – they – absolutely nailed the story and the emotional roller coaster you want to take your audience on. People around me were clapping and groaning at key moments. I am particularly pleased for Christina who, like so many, has worked so hard for so little but she has not given up. She worked with me in Brazil and Angola and I look forward to working with her again – though she may be hard to book now. Mind you, she still owes me for lending her my camera for free for months in Brazil…. After that, it was off to the airport and a flight to LAX (they’re still grumpy) and then onto Qantas for a midnight flight to the next continent, the next country: New Zealand.

No comments: