Thursday 21 March 2013


20 March 2013

Ah yes, the glamour of travelling.

Laundry in hotel basements

Starbucks oatmeal

Running between terminals to catch impossible connecting flights

Nothing – I mean nothing – on TV

Hotel windows that can’t be opened

Everyone asking for tips

Having to buy snacks on planes. Credit card only

People who respond by saying ‘Uh-huh’

Baths too small

Beds too big

Breakfast coffee that isn’t

Hidden sales taxes

Slow lifts

Endless emails

Roaming charges. How much??

 On the other hand….wonderful landscapes, many wonderful people, and Afghans would laugh at the above inconveniences….get real, Mr Grabsky.

So... back to the narrative:  Santa Fe, Tucson and LA.   Despite my little moans above, I’ve had a good time in all three. Santa Fe was special – and I am determined to go back next year and really explore the country around it.  My knowledge of New Mexico largely rests on the TV series Breaking Bad (which is great) so it was nice to see for myself the adobe buildings and mountain peaks.  Watch out though… it’s at 7000 feet. I went for a run in the hills and the sun was shining bright… bright on my closely shaven (you mean bald, dad!) head.  Ouch… The screenings went really well too… one of those where there are few pre-sales and one wonders if it’s going to all be a bit lonely and then people just kept turning up. It was a double feature of Mozart & Beethoven so that meant a midnight finish – and folk loved it.  I love those films and I love it when an audience is so enthusiastic after watching them.  I should have gone out for a tequila afterwards but it was back to the hotel, pretty exhausted.  The next day was spent on scripting and emails but I did get another run done which did seem a lot shorter on the way out than the way back…I blame the altitude again.  Despite that night being up against a Live from the Met we had another excellent turn out. Yes, I like Santa Fe and I had the best fajita of my life…by far.

Sunday was a painful flight – one of those that takes you east to go west. Yes, to go to Tucson I had to travel via Dallas.   Tucson was sweltering (and me in my ski jacket from England..) and they tell me this is still cool to them.  A lovely cinema with a very welcoming staff. But a poor turn-out tonight.  One of those nights where I actually lose money.  Maybe it was because it was St Patrick’s Day, or there were two other big classical events on, or who knows why?  That said, I’ll be back.  And those who did come enjoyed the
film and the Q&A and still bought a fair few DVDs… I was put up in a guesthouse which, in the morning light, was essentially plonked right in the middle of a cacti desert….Quite something.

Another plane saw me arrive in LA.  The more I come here and get to know it, the more I like it – but I choose a hotel at the airport for 3 days as I know (rightly as it turned out) I’d be on the computer the whole time – except for a charity screening of The Boy Mir (which was lovely and raised some money towards a female teacher for Mir’s school – check out justgiving).   My other trip was to the Getty to discuss EXHIBITION with them and film projects for 2014/15/16. For those of you who have never been, you have to go. It is quite extraordinary – John Paul Getty may have been obscenely rich but what a legacy he left behind.  Room after room of the most beautiful artworks.  Whatever else you do in LA, make sure you visit it.

Right, that’s enough from me. I have to go to the gym – only 3 and a bit weeks before my first marathon – in the hotel basement (yuk) and then pack for an early flight tomorrow.  Dinner tonight will be a rather tired cheese and lettuce sandwich (x2) and muesli with yoghurt.  Tomorrow I’m getting a steak!

Phil

No comments: