Tuesday 10 May 2011

Istanbul - TRT 2011 Documentary Awards - The Boy Mir - Ten Years in Afghanistan

7 May 2011

Arriving at 4am into Istanbul is undoubtedly exciting, especially when the taxi driver as taken this weekend's Grand Prix to heart and decides to drive through the harbours, the ancient walls, the minarets at 140 kph. Exciting but potentially deadly. Crazy town, crazy people. I haven't been here for a while (after many filming visits in the 1990s) and am delighted to be back for a documentary film festival. Too often my films have played here and I haven't been able to afford to attend. I have only had the first screening so far of The Boy Mir - Ten years in Afghanistan but it went really well. The audience afterwards refused to leave they had so many questions...I find it so strange that an audience can be so moved by a film and yet a festival programmer (who should know a thing or two about audiences) will reject a film - as Mir has been rejected recently by a Canadian festival Hot Docs that I was, frankly, sure we'd get into. I know it's all down to personal taste, zeitgeist, contacts and all that but I was still surprised. Still, saved me yet another transatlantic trip. And it meant I could come to Turkey. This is certainly one of the most interesting countries for me and I'd love more time to explore - and it was also lovely how interested the TV channels were in the film and how I came to make it. I also had the chance to see a couple of good docs: Ward 54 and Israel v Israel. Both very moving. There really are so many wrongs to right - although I doubt that life has ever been as safe and sound as it is for most people in most places. Mind you, next door in Syria, all sorts of chaos and bloodshed are breaking out. Anyway, having savoured the delights of an Istanbul kebab I retired to my hotel room to work through the endless avalanche of emails...outside, a great city roared through the night.

No comments: