Tuesday 22 December 2015

December 22


The festive season at the end of the year is here and with it comes the time to reflect a little.

 

2015 has been a hugely productive - and somewhat exhausting - year and certainly one to remember. Releasing Concerto – A Beethoven Journey, which took four years to film, was certainly a highlight. For me the screenings in Bodo in the Norwegian Arctic Circle - with my own family and Leif Ove and his family - were an absolute joy.  The reaction of the Norwegian audience that day was wonderful and not easily forgotten.  Leif Ove Andsnes’ Beethoven Journey, upon which the film is based, continues to be praised and I would like to congratulate him and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra for their latest achievement - making it into two of the Guardian’s Top 10 lists of classical concerts and operas of 2015. It is greatly deserved!  After our BBC screening their CD box set shot to the top of the classical music charts.  It couldn't happen to nicer people or better musicians.

 

I am pleased to say that EXHIBITION ON SCREEN has expanded and the series is now shown in over 40 countries! Whilst distributing Season 2, we have also almost finished Season 3 and indeed we are developing the fourth & fifth Seasons as I write.  It was such an eventful year it is hard to pick out particular moments but the ones that come to mind are the filming in galleries such as the National Gallery, London, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, and above all for me personally, the many super trips to the Barnes in Philadelphia.  It's never easy and don't get me started on contracts, funding and sales but 99% of the time it's worth it for the privileged access to these (and many more) institutions.  It's that privilege we try to share with you the audience.  

 

This leads me on to the future and what we have to look forward to in 2016.  

 

We kick off the year with the international release of Goya – Visions of Flesh and Blood, an EXHIBITION ON SCREEN film which was warmly received when it premiered in the UK earlier this month. Woman & Home Magazine called the film ‘one of the art scene’s most exciting events this winter’ whilst The Guardian stated that it was ‘enjoyable, lucid and intelligent’. If you missed the opportunity to see it in the UK, Picture House cinemas will be showing it on the 22nd February and tickets are now available at www.exhibitiononscreen.com.

 

Next comes the UK release of Renoir – Revered and Reviled, a film that offers the chance to see the world’s largest Renoir collection on the big screen. These works will never travel outside of the Barnes Foundation so this is a great opportunity to see them!  I directed this film and found Renoir's life story absolutely fascinating. Of our 12 films so far we've done two or three on the impressionists - and I love it. I love that whole period and the wonderful background to the personalities involved and the art they produced. Renoir was a key player.  

 

In March we are planning to release In Search of Chopin in Poland (which will be a fabulous experience) and we are currently also working on the next two releases for Concerto – A Beethoven Journey in Australia and New Zealand. To keep up-to-date make sure you sign-up to our newsletter.

 

The third EXHIBITION ON SCREEN film of Season 3 hits UK cinemas in April and is entitled Painting the Modern Garden – Monet to Matisse. It is based on the Royal Academy of Arts, London much anticipated exhibition which we will film in January. I have to say the exhibition (which began in Cleveland) looks incredible and it is certainly one not to miss! The film then goes worldwide.  

 

If you have missed any of the films, do ask your local cinema or art institution to show them - or visit seventh-art.com to download the film or buy the DVD.  Funding permitting, we have some huge projects in the pipeline for future seasons but we do hope everyone sees the films we've already made.  I've said it many times before but I want folk to share with us the admiration for what we as humans are capable of.   On that note,  I hope that you are enjoying our festive advent calendar, which features on our Facebook and Twitter pages and everyone here at EXHIBITION ON SCREEN and Seventh Art Productions wishes you a belated Happy Hannukkah, a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!

 

Until next year,

 

Phil

 

 

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Hello,

My name is Aaron and I'm a composition student at UMKC. I wanted to say that your "In search of..." series is so insightful to me in how the music of the masters was connected to their lives. I hope you are considering a fifth one. (Personally, I'd love to see one on Wagner, one of my favorite composers.) Have there been any thoughts to continuing that series?

Unknown said...

hello,
I am delighted to have the opportunity of leaving a comment to Phil Grabsky.
I am very very impressed by the quality of your "in search of..." series.I have got all your films in dvds. and I treasure them all.
Aaron is waiting for a Wagner.Could I recommend to him this film(dvd available):"Wagner,a genius in exile" by Andy sommer,with Antoine Wagner,photographer, great-great-grandson of the composer.

I am myself waiting for no less than 6 new ones by Phil Grabsky( to start with!!) .....a Bach,a Schubert, a Schumann , a Brahms,a Liszt, a Debussy,a Ravel !
I also wish that the excellent "utterly partial history of the piano"filmed with Ronald Brautigam,will have a follow up one day.
Thanks a lot for your attention.
Francine( retired French music teacher and amateur pianist)