Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Esterhazy Palace, Eisenstadt, Austria. 16th September 2013


In the endless to-ing and fro-ing of our busy lives, it’s easy sometimes to miss the special moments. If I have to rush out of my house one more time with my laces undone because ‘I don’t have time’ to do them up, I think I might just curl up in a ball in a quiet corner somewhere and hide. Things now are SO busy that I work in 15 minute blocks. It’s presumably how a politician feels…endlessly trying to clear their in-tray and ministerial boxes. Therefore (get to the point Grabsky!) I made sure that I noticed and appreciated the fact that right now, as I write, my IN SEARCH OF HAYDN is playing in so-called Haydn Hall in the very palace in Eisenstadt, Austria where Haydn himself lived, composed and performed for so many years (on and off for 40). Indeed, we’ve made history tonight: this is the first film ever shown in this famous and revered hall. The Director Dr Walter Reicher of the Haydn Festival should be rightly proud of pulling this all together. It looks and sounds fabulous – and a real honour. Indeed, it was a thrill to see our film being sold as the key biographical film in the Haydn House and here in the Palace shop too. That’s true also in the houses of Beethoven and Mozart in Vienna and Salzburg – and for me that’s worth more than any great review or chunky award. If I can manage that for the Chopin film, I will be so pleased. On the other hand…I am also sad that the hall tonight is not busy. In fact, it’s a poor turn-out as the photo shows. Maybe 100 people. I’d really expected a sell-out. Monday nights in the drizzle are not ideal for films perhaps, especially as the festival lasts three weeks and the weekends are very busy but still…Now I’m beating myself up thinking why didn’t we send more flyers, hustle more radio, do more social media, etc, etc. I had a screening last night in Lewes (near Brighton) of Manet and again it was a small showing. I admit there was a big storm outside but still! I’ve had full and I’ve had not-so-full and I know which I prefer….I also screened The Boy Mir last week…so a lot of cinema showings going on and more coming up. All this while finishing VERMEER (October 10th release) and editing IN SEARCH OF CHOPIN…and signing up lots of major galleries for next year’s EXHIBITION ON SCREEN. There really are not enough hours in the day.

 


No comments: